Collecting comic books, toys and sporting cards has become a very big business and there are many industries that have been created just around buying, selling and storing these specific items. Comic books and sports trading cards have always been highly collectible with collections being passed down from generation to generation.
Most people will store their childhood comic book collection in their attic or basement. While this is a handy place to put the comic books in a home, it actually isn’t the best place to store them in order to keep them in good condition. Extreme temperatures, especially in a hot and humid attic, can damage the paper of the comic books. The best place to store comic books is in humidity or climate controlled environment. If there is not room at home to properly display or store comic books, then the next best option would be to store the collectibles in a self-storage unit. Climate controlled storage units help protect your comic book collections from extreme temperatures and humidity.
Stop N Stor offers a variety of storage unit sizes that are perfect for storing a comic book collection. A 5’x5’ or 10’x10’ storage unit would be an ideal size to store comic book storage boxes. If there is enough space, add shelving to the storage unit to make storing the comic book collection more organized.
Comic Book Storage Tips
The condition of the comic book will affect the value of the comic book over time. Therefore, it is very important to make sure that the collectibles are properly packaged and prepared for storage. There are many comic book storage ideas that have been created to keep comic books in pristine condition. Most comic book stores will be able to provide you with these storage materials. If you follow the comic book storage tips below, your collection will continue to stay in good form:
- Protecting Comic Books-Place individual comic books in protective polypropylene sheets with acid-free packing boards. The bags protect the comic books from fingerprints, scuffs and moisture. The boards, stored inside the bag, keep the comic book stiff and flat as well as helps to prevent bending and curling of the paper. Change out the boards every 2-5 years in order to keep the board from changing the color of the comic.
- Mylar Protection Sheets-For more valuable comics, use Mylar comic book protector sheets for storing purposes.
- Comic Book Storage Boxes-Store comic books in acid free comic book storage boxes. The comic book boxes come in two different sizes: long and short. The short box can hold up to 200 comics. The long box can fit up to 250 comics. Store the comic books standing up in the boxes.
- Filing Cabinets-There are other comic book storage ideas such as storing a collection in filing cabinets or specially made cabinets as an alternative to storing in boxes.
- Binding Comic Books-If you do not plan on selling the comic books in the future, then consider binding volumes of comic books together in a book or placing in a binder. This ultimately reduces the value of the comic book, but binding could make it easier to read, transport and store.
- Comics Storage Tip-When storing comics, keep them away from direct sunlight as this can fade the colors of the book. Also, avoid storing comic books in wet, hot or drafty areas.
Renting a self storage unit is a great way to store large and small comic book collections. When storing the comic book storage boxes, do not stack the boxes too high and stack all like-sized boxes together. The larger comic book storage boxes can get heavy when they are completely full. Filing cabinets used for storing comic books can easily be moved into a storage unit. The state-of-the-art security at Stop N Stor gives our customers peace of mind their comic book collections are safe and secure while in storage.