Attics end up being the dumping zone for storage for everything from holiday decorations, luggage, old family trunks full of memorabilia, books, toys and some items that you don’t even remember storing! Attics can become reorganized, cluttered and turn into a “junk” room very quickly. Things get thrown in an attic and end up being forgotten for year. The attic can be a hard room to organize, because it requires climbing up and down stairs or a pull-down ladder. However, once you decide to organize your attic and keep it organized, it will give you more storage in your home. Attics are dry, as compared to basements, which can flood, but attics, especially ones that are not insulated, will experience temperature extremes and higher humidity. So, when you make your plans for the attic, keep that in mind when deciding what you what to store in the attic.
If you follow a few of the steps below, you will be able to organize your attic much quicker than you thought.
- Assess the items that you currently have stored in the attic. Go through the usual sorting process: keep in the attic, place in storage, donate or sell, or throw away. Place the stored items into a storage facility as soon as you finish sorting the room. Stop N Stor offers a variety of storage unit sizes that can help every storage need. When you place the stored boxes back into the attic, make sure to label the boxes with the content.
- Organize the attic into zones such as holiday decorations, clothing or family memorabilia. Keep like items together so you know where to access them if you need them.
- Depending on the amount of space that you have in your attic, utilize storage options such as shelving to put your boxes and storage containers on.
- Keep items that you access the most closest to the door. Place the belongings that you will not need as much towards the back of the attic.
- Gather loose items into boxes instead of having them take up valuable space.
- One you have organized the attic, make sure to keep it organized! Check on the items in the attic at least once a month. The attic shouldn’t be out of sight, out of mind. Every few months, do a quick clean-out of the items, especially holiday items that you do not plan on using again.