What happened to 2014? It seems like just yesterday we were ringing in 2014 and now it is nearly time to the New Year. New Year’s Eve is a time to reflect on the past year and get excited for the wonders that the New Year will bring. Family and friends gather for small gatherings or attend larger events at hotels or outdoor venues. The Savannah area offers a variety of ways to celebrate the New Year from attending parties at hotels to ringing in the New Year with fireworks and thousands of your closest friends!
Savannah’s New Year’s Events
The biggest New Year’s celebration is on River Street in historic downtown Savannah. Join the thousands of people for festivities at Rousakis Riverfront Plaza including free entertainment and watching the “non-traditional 6 foot to-go cup” drop at midnight! Afterwards, there is a huge fireworks display over the Savannah River. City Market will be hosting an outdoor street party to ring in the New Year. The entertainment starts at 9pm and lasts until 1am. No tickets or reservations are needed. However, if you plan on celebrating at the restaurants in the area, you will need to make reservations. The Savannah River Cruises are also offering special packages to celebrate the New Year in style. Hotels and restaurants throughout the Louisville area are offering special events for New Year’s Eve. Get your reservations in now, so you won’t miss the events and activities.
Tybee Island rings in 2015 with a spectacular fireworks display set off from Tybee Pier. You can view the fireworks from the beach or any of the many beachfront restaurants. The next day, the 15th Annual Tybee Polar Bear Plunge takes place with proceeds going to the Tybee Post Theater. Dare to take a jump into the chilly Atlantic Ocean!
New Year’s Eve Safety Tips
If you are attending large New Year’s celebrations, even celebrating at a hotel or restaurant it is critical to keep an eye open to your surroundings and be safe. Below are a few safety tips that are important to follow for your New Year’s celebrations:
- Take a look around the room or the venue where you are attending the party. Does the building have a wide entrance and exit? Are the exits blocked by decorations such as Christmas trees or holiday displays?
- Attend large events with other people. Have a communication plan, emergency contact and a meeting place set up before the event just in case you are split up.
- Look out for possible fire sources such as candles burning, cigarettes or cigars burning, indoor fireworks, or other heat sources that could make you feel unsafe.
- Leave the fireworks displays to the professionals. Do NOT use consumer fireworks to shoot off on New Year’s Eve.
- If you choose to shoot off fireworks, be sure to follow proper safety precautions. Shoot off the fireworks in a clear field or open area with no overhead power lines. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby for emergencies. Do not re-light fireworks that did not light the first time.
- Do not let children near any fireworks that are left over. The fireworks could still be active and could go off injuring the child.
Stop N Stor wishes everyone a safe and Happy New Year! We look forward to being your source for all of your storage needs in Hinesville, Port Wentworth, and Savannah in 2015!