Self storage is a great storage solution for any type of business including retail, restaurants, contractors or offices. Self storage is an option to store business files and office equipment, but it is also an ideal place for construction workers, contractors, plumbers, electrician, and painters to store their tools and equipment during the “off-season” or during the construction project.
A majority of small businesses, including contractors, plumbers and painters, work out of vans, trucks or out of their homes and do not have store front locations or buildings to store their equipment. The cost of renting a storage unit can be much lower than paying for rent and utilities for a storefront or a warehouse. By storing building materials and tools in a storage unit, contractors keep their overhead low and their business running well within their budget. Contractors also keep overall costs down by buying materials, supplies and tools in bulk and store them until these products are needed. Construction workers and contractors have to take their equipment to and from their work site every day. Having a self storage unit in a centralized place makes it much easier for the contractor to transport equipment easily. Keeping the tools and equipment in a self storage unit will also help to protect them from damage from weather or even vandalized if kept on a construction site.
Tool Storage Tips for Contractors
Small power or hand tools should be stored in plastic bins to keep them protected from dirt, dust and other types of damage. Organize like-sized tools together per plastic bin. The bins are also easy to stack and carry from the storage unit to a truck to a construction site. Make sure to label the boxes with its contents so you will be able to find the tool when you need it and then keep an inventory list of the tools that you have and where they are stored.
There are preparatory steps that need to be followed in order to get tools ready for storage. Read the manufacturer’s instructions to get details on how to store power or hand tools. It is important to follow the cleaning and storage instructions, especially for larger power tools such as power saws or drills.
- Clean tools after each use. Wipe down with a rag or towel to be sure that they are free of dirt, grease and debris.
- While cleaning the tools, check for damage or defects. If the tool cannot be repaired, then throw it away.
- Clean every metal surface on the tool with water and scrape away any soil and dirt. Completely dry the tool with a towel or rag before it is placed in storage.
- Coat the metal parts of the tools with a lubricant metal protector spray.
- Do not place tools directly on the ground for storage. Place small hand and power tools on shelving or in a plastic bin.
- Tie together long-handled tools in a garbage can while in storage. Otherwise hang these tools on a wall in your garage or storage unit.
- Power tools should have all surfaces cleaned and completely dry before storage. Spray lubricant on all metal surfaces.
Placing construction tools and equipment in a self storage unit is a great solution to keep them protected in storage. Storing in a self storage unit can be convenient for contractors because most storage facilities have drive-up storage units, which allows for easy access for the contractors to load and unload their equipment. Stop N Stor has computerized gate access allowing contractors 24/7 hour access to their tools and equipment. Security measures such as video surveillance, individual storage unit alarms and gated gate and building entry gives the contractor peace-of-mind that their equipment will be safe while in storage.
Stop N Stor offers a variety of storage unit sizes from 5×5 to 10×30 for tools to larger equipment storage. Stop in to our 6 storage facilities in Hinesville, Port Wentworth and Savannah to find out more about how we can help construction companies, contractors, painters and plumbers keep an eye on their bottom line by storing their equipment in a self storage unit.
Savannah plays host to many different great cultural and fun events from the St. Patrick’s Day Parade to the Savannah Food Festival to the Savannah Film Festival. The Savannah Music Festival is another of the wonderful cultural festivals that take place in the city. The festival kicks off March 19th and runs to April 4th. The mission of the Savannah Music Festival is to “create timeless and adventurous productions that stimulate arts education, foster economic growth and unite audiences in Savannah”. The Savannah Music Festival is Georgia’s largest musical arts event and has the distinction of being the “most distinctive cross-genre music festivals in the world”.
Performers and Venues of the Savannah Music Festival
The Music Festival showcases all types of musical genres during the two weeks of performances including Traditional Folk Music, Jazz, Symphonic and Chamber, R & B, Pop and Rock N Roll. This year’s performers include: Mavis Staples, The Boxcars, The Wood Brothers, Buckwheat Zydeco, Dawes, Dave Stryker Quartet, Kodo, Lucinda Williams, Marcus Roberts Trio, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Asleep at the Wheel, The Wailers, Bela Fleck, Dianne Reeves, Roseanne Cash and many more. Some of the performances are already sold out! Check the scheduling for dates, times and performance venues.
The performances take place in a variety of venues throughout Savannah in order to give the most optimum of sound and experience. The events are being held at the following venues: Christ Church Episcopal, Lucas Theatre for the Arts , Ships of the Sea North Garden, Trinity United Methodist Church, Charles H Morris Center, Trustees Theater , Johnny Mercer Theater and Temple Mickve Isreal.
About the Savannah Music Festival Organization
The Savannah Music Festival is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to growing audiences of all ages through engagement with the musical arts. The organization believes that arts are fundamental to the intellectual and physical development of all children. The Savannah Music Festival organization works year-round to produce youth concerts, in-school training programs, an annual high school jazz band competition and festival, lectures, and a weekly radio series. The special programming reaches (and teaches) thousands of children in the Savannah area every year. The Savannah Music Festival relies on donations to keep the organization running. The ticket sales from the 2 weeks festival make up about 40% of the annual budget. The rest of the budget comes from corporate sponsorships, personal donations and other fundraisers. You can help support the Savannah Music Festival in many ways-including attending different events during the two weeks of the actual festival.
The Savannah Music Festival allows you to discover the wonderful types of music that are being performed around the world. Learn about Japanese drumming to Chamber music compositions to Bluegrass pickings at the two week festival. Stop N Stor is very proud to be a part of the Savannah community and supports the many festivals and events in the city.
The city of Savannah plays host to one of the biggest St. Patrick’s Day celebrations in the world every March 17th. The Savannah St. Patrick’s Day Parade is usually in the top 5 list of parades after New York City, Boston and Chicago. St. Patrick’s Day is a celebration of Irish history, culture and heritage named for the patron saint of Ireland, Patrick. The Irish have been celebrating St. Patrick’s Day as a solemn feast day for over 1,000 years. The traditions of St. Patrick’s Day were brought over to the United States by Irish Immigrants in the 1700 and 1800’s as they settled throughout the young country. St. Patrick’s Day celebrations began as a more religious holiday specifically celebrating the works of St. Patrick. Today, St. Patrick’s Day has become more of a secular event honoring Irish Heritage. Savannah had its first official St. Patrick’s Day parade in 1813 and has been holding it ever since with breaks only during the Civil War and two World Wars.
There are many events celebrating St. Patrick’s Day leading up to the parade on Tuesday, March 17th. The Forsyth Park fountain is dyed green on Friday, March 13th at noon to start off St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. The Tara Feis is a free outdoor family friendly Irish heritage celebration with Irish music, dancing, food, crafts, entertainment and much more. It held on the Saturday before the parade, March 14th, at Emmit Park. The Tybee Island Irish Heritage Parade is Saturday, March 14 kicking off at 3pm featuring local Irish families, bagpipers, floats and more. River Street Savannah will host their annual St. Patrick’s Day party starting Saturday, March 14th and running through St. Patrick’s Day with multiple stages of non-stop entertainment, interactive games, food, beverages and much more. The event is free and open to all ages, but you must have an ID and be over 21 to enjoy the adult beverages.
Tuesday, March 17th is the 191st Annual Savannah St. Patrick’s Day Parade . The parade will feature over 350 units including United States military divisions, marching bands, Irish dancers, pipe and drum corps, the Budweiser Clydesdales and more. The parade is held rain or shine. Hundreds of thousands of people come to Savannah to help participate and view the parade along its route in Savannah’s National Landmark Historical District. The parade begins at the corner of Abercorn and Gwinnett Street, near Forsyth Park, at 10:15am and ends at the corner of Bull and Harris Street.
Come on down to downtown Savannah and join in the “wearing of the green” parade and all of Savannah’s St. Patrick’s Days celebrations. Stop N Stor is proud to be a member of a Savannah community that is very full of heritage and history.
Buying furniture for a home is an investment. When you are moving and storing a couch or other living room furniture it is important to keep your investment protected. Each type of furniture can require different preparation for moving and storing, so check with manufacturer instructions before cleaning, moving and putting in storage. For example, if you are moving or storing a mattress, it is recommended to move the mattress vertically, but storing it horizontally in order to protect the inner springs. Knowing the specifics about moving a couch and storing leather furniture is important in order to keep these pieces of furniture in good use for years to come.
- Do not move a couch on your own. Make sure that there are at least two people moving the couch.
- Clean the furniture before the day of the move. Clean the fabric on the couch with an antimicrobial cleaner and dry completely. Clean wood furniture with furniture polish. Pre-treat leather couches with furniture wax.
- Use old sheets and blankets to cover and protect the couch during the move. This will help protect the furniture from dirt, scratching and other dings that could occur when moving it.
- So, you will not run into possible problems or impediments, clear a path for the route that you are moving the couch.
- Do not use plastic to cover furniture either during moving or in storage. Plastic does not allow the furniture to “breathe” and it can possibly cause water damage during long-term storage.
- If you are moving or storing a leather couch, it is recommended to rent a climate-controlled storage unit in order to protect the leather from cracking or peeling due to extreme temperatures. Do not wrap a leather couch in plastic covering as the plastic can enhance the development of moisture inside the plastic and damage the leather of the couch.
- Place plastic or cloth covering on the ground of the storage unit before you place any type of furniture in storage. This will protect the furniture from cold or moisture damage that can seep through the concrete floor.
- Place a couch at least 4 inches away from the walls of the storage unit and leave enough space in-between larger furniture or appliances to allow for easier access.
- Place the couch horizontally in storage. If you do not have the space in the storage unit and the couch is very sturdy then you can store the couch vertically. Placing a couch upright can damage the coils and inner workings of the couch over long-term storage.
- Do not stack heavy items on top of any type of furniture, but especially couches cushions. This can cause damage to the fabrics and upholstery, especially if the items are sharp and very heavy.
It is very important to protect the investment in your furniture, especially mattresses and couches while moving or in storage, so you will be able to use the items for many years to come. Self storage is a great home storage solution to keep these items protected until you need them again. Stop into a Stop N Stor location in Hinesville, Port Wentworth or Savannah to see how we can help you with your storage needs!