A motorcycle is a great mode of transportation during warm and dry weather. It is not recommended to take a motorcycle out of rides in cold and wet weather. It is important to keep the motorcycle protected and in good condition during the off-season months. If you do not have room in the garage in your home to store your motorcycle, then renting a self-storage unit is a great solution to store motorcycles for the winter months.
Stop N Stor offers a variety of storage unit sizes that are great for motorcycle storage. Stop N Stor has drive-up access to storage units to allow you to easily move your motorcycle in and out of storage. We offer state-of-the-art security measures including 24 hour video surveillance, well-lit buildings and drive ways and personalized gate-access entry. These measures, plus having resident managers on site, will give a motorcycle owner peace of mind that their vehicle is protected while in storage at Stop N Stor.
How to Prepare a Motorcycle for Storage
Consult the owner’s manual for your type of motorcycle for specific storage tips. It is important to follow the instructions in the owner’s manual or consult with your storage facility’s manager before your store your motorcycle or any vehicle. Following mechanical and cleaning steps to prepare your motorcycle for storage will make sure that the “bike” is ready for the spring riding season in no time!
- The motorcycle’s registration, title and license plates need to be up-to-date.
- Visually inspect the motorcycle to check if anything needs to be repaired or replaced before putting it in storage.
- Place the motorcycle on a pallet or piece of wood above the ground when in storage. This prevents damage from moisture and dampness to the vehicle. It will also help to protect the tires on the motorcycle from deflating.
- Clean the motorcycle and then completely dry it before placing in storage. Spray WD-40 on every metal surface of the motorcycle to help prevent rusting.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for adding fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas to the motorcycle before placing in storage. Run the engine for at least 15 minutes to work the stabilizer through the engine.
- Change the motorcycle’s engine oil. This will remove the excess sludge and dirt in the engine allowing for easier start up when removing from storage.
- Check the tires to make sure that they are properly inflated.
- For long-term storage, it is recommended to remove the battery from the motorcycle and store in a warm dry space away from the actual vehicle. If you want to keep the battery in the motorcycle, attach it to a battery charger while in storage and make sure that it is charged every few weeks.
- Cover the motorcycle with a cotton tarp, sheet or blanket while it is in storage. Do not use a plastic cover as this will allow moisture to be trapped under cover and cause damage to the metal surfaces.
If you follow these easy steps, your motorcycle will be in great working condition for the next outdoor riding season. Stop by Stop N Stor locations in Hinesville, Port Wentworth and Savannah to find out how we can help with all of your storage needs from vehicle storage to business storage.
From county fairs to fall festivals, Savannah is a great place to be in the autumn months. October brings cooler temperatures (just a bit) and the leaves changing colors. It is also time to celebrate fall harvests and fall activities like pumpkin picking and county fairs. There are many ways to celebrate fall at local farms and at popular area events. Below are just a few of the fall festivals and events happening in October and early November in and around the Savannah area.
Pumpkin and Fall Festivals
Poppell Farms will be opening up their 15th annual pumpkin patch on October 3rd. The farm will have its famous corn maze. This year the maze honors country performer, Cole Swindell, and his hit song, “Chillin’ It”. Poppell Farms offers covered hay wagon rides and tractor rides. For children, they have pony rides, a petting zoo with Claude the Llama and Elvis the donkey and a children’s play area. There are daytime and nighttime fun activities every weekend including a flashlight trip through the corn maze! Fall festival events run to November 1st. The farm, located in Odum, near Jesup, is perfect day trip from Savannah.
Madrac Farms, located in Rincon, Georgia, prides itself on being the one true pumpkin patch in the Coastal Empire. Pumpkins are pretty difficult to grow in Southeastern Georgia, but somehow, Madrac Farms have been able to do it for years. In fact, they are known for their extremely large pumpkins. This year, the “star” pumpkin is over 200 pounds! Madrac Farms opens its Pumpkin Patch on October 1st. It is open to through October 31st on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The farm is a great place to take the family. There is a petting zoo with baby farm animals, a big slide, bouncy houses, hay rides and of course corn mazes. Take a trip out to Madrac Farms and pick out your pumpkins today!
Holiday Farms, in Ridgeland, celebrates autumn with The Great Pumpkin Patch opening October 1st. There are many new events and changes this year at Holiday Farms including a new barn, new covered wagon, covered picnic area, barrel racing and pig racing. The farm is already has established events that are family favorites including duck races, bounce houses, corn grinding, steer roping, cow roping, a barnyard zoo and of course pumpkin picking. Holiday Farms offers a 50% military discount for all active duty military, spouses and children with ID.
Ottawa Farms in Bloomingdale will open its famous corn maze October 3rd to October 31st. The farm will showcase everyday farm activities for visitors and family activities including pig races, a corn cannon, kids play area and more.
Fun Fall Events in the Savannah Area
Tybee Island Pirate Fest
The Tybee Island Pirate Fest was started in 2005 to help boost visitation to Tybee Island during off-season months. Today, the Pirate Fest has grown into Tybee’s largest yearly festival. Pirates of all ages and sizes take over Tybee Island for the weekend. There is music, food and of course, grog! The streets of the festival are filled with street performers, magicians, pirate weaponry demonstrations and pirate performers. There is a family friendly children’s area called Little Matey’s Cove with bounce houses, storytellers, face painting and lots of surprises. The 11th Annual Victory Parade will transform the Tybee streets on Saturday, October 10th from 3pm to 5pm. There will be elaborate floats and costumes as the parade travels down Butler Street to the beach. Stop by Thieves Market for your own pirate gear. The Tybee Island Pirate Fest is put on by hundreds of volunteers, corporate sponsors, and local businesses.
Coastal Empire Fair
To cap off the great fall events and festivals is the Coastal Empire Fair from November 5th to 15th at the Exchange Club Fairgrounds in Savannah. The fair is operated by the Exchange Club of Savannah. It represents 6 counties in the Coastal Empire area. There will be agricultural judging of cows, sheep and swine. 4H and FFA (Future Farmers of America) events, carnival rides, entertainment, concerts, carnival food and more!
Stop N Stor hopes that you enjoy all the different fall events from pirate festivals to pumpkin festivals in the Savannah area!