January is the time to start planning for spring and summer home improvement projects. There are home, garden and remodeling shows taking place across the country during January, February and March. These shows are great opportunities to see the latest home improvement and renovation ideas, products and technologies to get you motivated to start your summer home projects. The Low County Home and Garden Show returns to Savannah this weekend for a weekend full of seminars, demonstrations and fun for the entire family.
2016 Low Country Home and Garden Show
The 2016 Low Country Home and Garden Show will be at the Savannah International Trade & Convention Center from Friday, January 29th running to Sunday, January 31st. The show has over 4000 square feet of displays and exhibitions including gardens, landscapes and water features. There will be exhibits for kitchen design, pools and outdoor living, and interior design and home accessories.
There will also be DIY seminars on three different stages: Celebrity Stage, Garden Stage and Kids Stage throughout the weekend. Seminar topics range from construction trends in Savannah to solar energy for the home to garden flower inspirations. Jeff Lewis the host and star of Bravo’s Flipping Out will be sharing his over 20 years of experience with renovating interior and exterior living spaces. The Garden Stage will have Norman Winter, gardening expert from the Coastal Botanical Garden at Historic Bamboo Farm and other experts from the Coastal Georgia Botanical Garden sharing how to make the most of your outdoor living and gardening spaces.
The Home and Garden Show will be filled with exhibitors that will be able to help you with ideas for improvements inside and outside your home. New this year is a “Product Zone” with exhibits and demonstrations of the newest products to make everyday tasks a bit easier. The show has it all from gardens and landscapes to interior design ideas and daily live plant and tree sales. There is an interactive Kids Zone area sponsored by Lowes with demonstrations, face-painting and hands-on demonstrations, a pet area and wine tasting. Enter to win plants from local garden centers, gift cards and much more from daily giveaways throughout the weekend.
Self Storage and Home Improvement
After you have visited the different home garden and remodeling shows and received tips for your remodeling or renovation projects, it is time to start planning your upcoming spring and summer projects. Renting a self-storage unit for personal and business storage is a great way to keep the furniture and accessories from the room or office protected during remodeling or renovation projects. If the remodeling project allows you to get new furniture, keep the older furniture in a self-storage unit.
Stop N Stor has a variety of climate and non-climate controlled storage units that can fit all of your storage needs from storing tools during a construction project to storing all of the furniture in a bedroom or living room! Our friendly and professional staff can help you with your storage needs from packing and moving supplies to temporary storage for your renovation project. Stop in when you need help finding the right storage space for your renovation projects! Enjoy the home and garden show and good luck with your spring and summer home improvement projects!
Collecting comic books, toys and sporting cards has become a very big business and there are many industries that have been created just around buying, selling and storing these specific items. Comic books and sports trading cards have always been highly collectible with collections being passed down from generation to generation.
Most people will store their childhood comic book collection in their attic or basement. While this is a handy place to put the comic books in a home, it actually isn’t the best place to store them in order to keep them in good condition. Extreme temperatures, especially in a hot and humid attic, can damage the paper of the comic books. The best place to store comic books is in humidity or climate controlled environment. If there is not room at home to properly display or store comic books, then the next best option would be to store the collectibles in a self-storage unit. Climate controlled storage units help protect your comic book collections from extreme temperatures and humidity.
Stop N Stor offers a variety of storage unit sizes that are perfect for storing a comic book collection. A 5’x5’ or 10’x10’ storage unit would be an ideal size to store comic book storage boxes. If there is enough space, add shelving to the storage unit to make storing the comic book collection more organized.
Comic Book Storage Tips
The condition of the comic book will affect the value of the comic book over time. Therefore, it is very important to make sure that the collectibles are properly packaged and prepared for storage. There are many comic book storage ideas that have been created to keep comic books in pristine condition. Most comic book stores will be able to provide you with these storage materials. If you follow the comic book storage tips below, your collection will continue to stay in good form:
- Protecting Comic Books-Place individual comic books in protective polypropylene sheets with acid-free packing boards. The bags protect the comic books from fingerprints, scuffs and moisture. The boards, stored inside the bag, keep the comic book stiff and flat as well as helps to prevent bending and curling of the paper. Change out the boards every 2-5 years in order to keep the board from changing the color of the comic.
- Mylar Protection Sheets-For more valuable comics, use Mylar comic book protector sheets for storing purposes.
- Comic Book Storage Boxes-Store comic books in acid free comic book storage boxes. The comic book boxes come in two different sizes: long and short. The short box can hold up to 200 comics. The long box can fit up to 250 comics. Store the comic books standing up in the boxes.
- Filing Cabinets-There are other comic book storage ideas such as storing a collection in filing cabinets or specially made cabinets as an alternative to storing in boxes.
- Binding Comic Books-If you do not plan on selling the comic books in the future, then consider binding volumes of comic books together in a book or placing in a binder. This ultimately reduces the value of the comic book, but binding could make it easier to read, transport and store.
- Comics Storage Tip-When storing comics, keep them away from direct sunlight as this can fade the colors of the book. Also, avoid storing comic books in wet, hot or drafty areas.
Renting a self storage unit is a great way to store large and small comic book collections. When storing the comic book storage boxes, do not stack the boxes too high and stack all like-sized boxes together. The larger comic book storage boxes can get heavy when they are completely full. Filing cabinets used for storing comic books can easily be moved into a storage unit. The state-of-the-art security at Stop N Stor gives our customers peace of mind their comic book collections are safe and secure while in storage.
In today’s busy world, many people don’t use their formal dining room except for special occasions, holiday gatherings or to use as a place for additional storage. The kitchen has taken over as the dining or gathering area in a home. They might not be used as much, but, the dining room table and chairs are still treasured pieces of furniture. It is very important to take extra time to properly prepare and move dining room furniture in order to protect it from damage and costly repairs. Before starting to pack the dining room, it is recommended to take a picture of the dining room table from all angles. This documents the item and any existing damage and provides proof if there is damage made during the move.
Tips for Packing a Dining Room Table
Below are nine tips for preparing dining room furniture for moving day. Make sure that you have moving and packing supplies such as cardboard, bubble wrap and packing tape on hand for this part of the project.
- Clean/dust the furniture before preparing for storage.
- To make the transport of the table easier, unbolt and unscrew the legs from the table. Tape the hardware in a re-sealable bag and attach it to the bottom of the table or on one of the legs. Label the bag with its contents.
- If you cannot remove the table legs, wrap them in bubble wrap for protection on moving day.
- Wrap each detached leg with bubble wrap for protection.
- Remove the table leaf and wrap it in a moving blanket.
- Put the sides down on a drop-down side tables and then wrap the entire tabletop with a moving blanket. Secure the blanket with packing tape, so the blanket will not move.
- Wrap the tabletop with as many blankets as is needed in order to cover the surface. Tape the blankets to the bottom of the table to keep them secured. Do not use tape on the surface of the table as it could leave a residue or peel the paint or wood surfacing.
- Glass dining room table tops should first be wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap and then wrapped with at least two moving blankets. For additional protection, add a layer of cardboard taped over the blankets.
- Wrap dining room chairs in a moving blanket and secure with tape. Wrap the legs and the back of the chair in bubble wrap.
Moving a Dining Room Table and Chairs
Once you have the dining room table wrapped and ready to go, you must make sure that it gets moved properly into a moving truck. Below are six tips for moving a dining room set to get the most optimum room in the moving truck and storage unit.
- Move chairs by picking them up from the bottom of the seat. Do not move chairs by lifting up from their backs or by dragging them across the floor as this could damage the chair and the floor.
- Stack chairs in groups of two in the moving van and secure with bungee cord or rope. Place the second chair upside down on top of the cushion on the first chair.
- When moving the table, have one person lift it from one end and another from the other end. Lift the table by the apron and turn so it is vertical to the floor. This will allow for easier movement through doors and up/down stairs.
- Load the table top against the wall of a moving van and secure with rope or bungee cords. Another option is to lay it flat on the floor of the moving truck.
- Place the separated legs in a secure position on the moving truck, where they won’t roll and damage other items.
- If the legs remain on the table, be very careful how you load the table into the moving truck. If the table is being moved in a standing position, you can load items below it, but it might not be able to support a large amount of weight on top. Tables can also shift during transit. It might be a better idea to place the table on its side in the moving van and make sure to keep the legs protected as much as possible.
Protecting a Dining Room Table in Self Storage
It is very important to protect the investment in your furniture, especially cherished dining room tables, while moving or in storage, so you will be able to use the items for many years to come. Self storage is a great personal storage solution to keep these items protected until you need them again. Some furniture might require storage in a climate controlled storage unit to keep the wood in good condition and protect it from possible warping or drying out from extreme temperatures and humidity. Once you place the dining room tables in storage, make sure to keep them covered with furniture tarps. Stop N Stor has a variety of storage units available in both climate and non-climate controlled to keep your dining room furniture protected in storage.
Every year, people make resolutions to get healthy, lose weight, save more and get more organized. According to a survey on New Year’s resolutions recently posted by Statistic Brain, the number 2 resolution for last year was to get organized! There is no time like the present to start planning and acting on this resolution to better organize your life and declutter your home to make it more organized for the New Year! The New Year is in full swing and now is the perfect time to set-up your home to be clutter free after the chaos of the holiday season. The holiday decorations have been stored until next year’s holiday season.
Now is the perfect time to work on organization projects big and small. You can start with small projects such as organizing a closet and then move onto larger organization projects such as re-organizing your entire kitchen.
By following some of the simple organization tips below, you can easily start off 2016 on an organized path:
- Create a goal and vision for the space that you need to reorganize. This is great for small or large projects. Cut out photos of an organized room, closet or bookshelf and place them on the refrigerator or on a bulletin board to use as a guide to what you want to accomplish.
- Define your clutter. We are all very emotionally attached to our things; which in turn causes more clutter to gather in our homes. This is a good time to sort your items between what will stay in the room and what can be packed for storage.
- Donate the items that you don’t need any more to organizations that could use them. Donate books to a library or school. Donate clothing to local shelters and donations centers, such as the Salvation Army or Goodwill.
- Once, you have created a clutter free environment, it is important to keep it organized going forward by doing daily cleaning, such as putting away daily use items in their designated spots.
- Purchase organizational supplies such as shelving units, storage bins, door storage organizers, and baskets to give loose items “a home”.
- There are many great DIY ways to get your items organized from re-purposing ice trays to hold desk supplies to color coding a weekly family event calendar to keeping electrical cords coiled correctly.
- Sort your mail right away. Place magazines and catalogs that you won’t read directly into the recycle bin and place bills and other mail that have to be answered in a specially designated spot.
- Finish the organizational projects that you started! Do not leave projects half completed!
With proper planning and a goal in mind, you can declutter and reorganize your home and start a plan to keep it organized going into the New Year. Stop N Stor has a variety of storage options, including climate and non-climate controlled, available for every storage need from storing unused exercise equipment to storing family heirlooms.