Moving across town or across the country can be a very stressful time. The more prepared you are for the move, the less stressful the process can be. Last year, we shared some moving tips to help your move go smoother. One of the biggest items on your moving “To Do” list is finding the best moving company to transport your belongings to your new home. If you are in need of a moving company there are many things that you can do to make sure that the movers are reputable and will provide a great service to you and your family during your hectic time.
1. Start planning your move early. If you are able to, give movers at least 6-8 week notice before you need to be moved. The busiest time for the moving industry is from late May to early September (This is also the busiest time for the self storage industry!). They are also very busy at the end of each month. If you plan ahead and are able to be flexible with the mover, you can schedule the tie that you will need for your move.
2. Ask friends, co-workers, real estate agents and family for recommendations for a moving company. The best recommendation is word-of-mouth. You can also check online sites such as The Better Business Bureau, Angie’s List and Yelp! for reviews of moving companies in your town.
3. Check out the moving company’s website for information about the company. Make sure that the movers have a regular street address, accreditation, affiliations (such as American Moving and Storage Association membership) and licensing information. The company should be licensed with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
4. Confirm that the company is fully insured by having cargo insurance.
5. Call a few different moving companies and ask to in-home estimates on the cost to move your belongings. Compare the costs of the companies to one another. If a company is “low balling” a cost, be cautious. Also, do not give your business to companies that will only give you a moving quote over the phone or online without seeing the items that need to be moved. These companies are often not reputable and will add hidden costs through the moving process.
6. Ask questions of the moving companies and get the answers to your questions written down with their price quotes.
7. When you are in the “shopping” process for a mover, the moving company should give you a “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move” pamphlet. This is a federally mandated regulation for customers that could be moving out-of-state. If you don’t receive that, check the status of the moving company with the Better Business Bureau.
Keep an eye out for “rogue moving companies”. These companies are scamming customers into paying large fees and have little to no insurance to cover the items that are being transported. The “rogue movers” will not have a street address or licensing information on their website, will only give over the phone or on-line quotes, ask for a large deposit in advance and they will actually show up with a rental company truck instead of a “real” moving truck. Do not do business with these companies! Look for reputable, well-known and well received moving companies. If you follow the tips shown above, your moving experience could be less stressful.
11 comments on “How to Choose a Good Moving Company”
I agree that you need to check if a moving company is insured before you hire them. It would seem that if they are licensed and insured it shows their experience and professionalism. I’m looking for someone to help me relocate across the country so I’ll have to make sure they are insured first.
Thank you so much for talking about how you should provide your moving company with 6-8 weeks before your move. I can understand that taking the time to plan ahead can help you and the company you choose to get all the tools needed to make your transition as stress-free as possible. We are planning on moving to a different state in a few months and want to choose the best moving company to help us out, so I’m glad I found your post.
Are you a home or business owner that needs to move your possessions quickly and safely without breaking the bank? Look no further than Red Raider Moving. We are based in Amarillo, TX, and we provide nationwide moving services. Please call (806)322-1152 for all the details involved in moving services.
I couldn’t agree more with what you said that the best recommendation is word-of-mouth, so it’s a good idea to ask your trusted friends and co-workers for a recommendation of a good moving company that they may have worked before. My husband and I are moving to a new place, and it’s important for us to find a professional company that can help us with the move by the end of the year. For me, the people you trust will more than be glad to share their experiences with a moving company that they hired before so it’ll be easier for you to decide. I will make sure to remember all your tips.
Above tips are very helpful in choosing a trusted moving company and in my point of view, we should do some research on the internet about different moving companies of that region and should compare them with respect to their reliability, cost of service and reviews on their websites. By comparing different aspect, we could choose a reliable moving company. And another fact is that, we should book that moving company in advance to prevent last minute hurry and we could save a lot of money.
My wife and I are getting ready to move soon, but we aren’t sure where to find a good moving company. I like that you suggest asking friends, family, co-workers, and your real estate if they have recommendations.We’ll definitely try asking around to see if someone can point us to an affordable company in the area.
I totally agree with tip # 2 about asking for recommendations from people you know as one way to choose the right moving company for your needs. Your friends, family, and colleagues may be able to refer you to someone whom they have contracted before. If they tell you that this moving company was very professional, then it’s probably a good idea to follow their advice. If I were to look for a ming company, I would make sure to keep this in mind. Thanks.
Choose a moving company is a very responsible work. Because moving task are not possible to yourself. I read your blog and i really happy with your information. Your blog gives a lot of information regarding choose a good moving company. Thanks for such post and please keep it up.
Thank you for suggesting you should confirm that the company is insured and has cargo insurance. My husband and I are getting ready to move and I think we should hire a moving company to help us get everything and even provide a storage unit. Hopefully, we can find a company we love working with.