Nothing compares taking the time to relax and escape to different worlds and times by opening a good hardbound book. Even with the popularity of e-books, people still continue to have large cook-book, children’s books or other collections in their homes. Books are great to have, enjoy and read, but they do take up a lot of space. There is always a need for a good book storage solution.
Book Storage Solutions for the Home
There are many great home book storage solutions. Depending on the amount of storage space in a home, people can store books in home libraries, while others have to be a bit more creative in how they store their book collections. Books can be stored in wicker decorative baskets that can be put on shelving units, under tables and in corners. For smaller houses and apartments, use ottomans, stools and chairs that have removable lids for book storage or store “up” using every wall space for additional book storage. Also, book shelves make great space dividers for smaller studio apartment or open living or dining rooms.
Organizing a Book Collection
The larger the collection of books, the harder it is to keep organized. Organizing a book collection can vary based on your style. Books can be placed on a book shelve based on author, genre or even the color of the cover. Most home organizers recommend separating fiction and non-fiction and then do separate categorization from there. Special or limited edition books can be very expensive and hard to replace. Special care needs to be given to these types of books. Store rare books in custom sleeves for added protection.
The ideal place to store books is an area in the home that is well-ventilated and not subject to big temperature changes. Do not store books in a spot with high humidity. Books should be stored upright so you can read the spine correctly. Books are designed to be stored this way and can be supported by other books to keep them stable. Do not store books with the binding or spine pointing up, this will crack the binding, ruining the book. Dusting books on a regular basis will help keep books clean over the long-term.
Storing a Book Collection in Self Storage
A storage unit is a great place to store excess books and other household storage items. When storing books in a storage unit, it is important to properly prepare and pack the books, so they stay in good condition. Below are eight tips for how to store books in a storage unit:
- Keep storage boxes out of direct sunlight and away from radiators and heating vents.
- Pack books in small or medium size boxes or plastic containers that are weatherproof and moisture-proof.
- For rare or limited edition books, take special care when placing them in storage. Wrap each book in a paper towel or cloth to protect the surface from dirt or residue buildup.
- Never wrap books in plastic bags, plastic wrap or foil.
- Store similar size books together, lying flat in the box. Do not stand the books in the box with their spines as this can damage the spines over time.
- Put heaviest books at the bottom of the container and go to lighter books, such as paperbacks at the top of the box. Make sure the boxes are packed tightly and use filler material to finish filling the box.
- Seal the boxes with packing tape. Label the boxes with a list of the contents.
- If possible, place boxes of books on shelving in the storage unit.
Stop N Stor has a variety of climate controlled and non-climate controlled storage units from 5×5 to 10×30 that are perfect for storing everything from a comic book collections to a cookbook collection. Stop by any of our six locations in Hinesville, Port Wentworth or Savannah to see how our storage professionals can help you with any of your residential or household storage needs.