Selling a home in today’s housing market can be quite a challenge. It is a buyer’s market, which makes selling a home very competitive! What can you do to make your home shine amongst the other homes that are up for sale in your neighborhood? One key factor in helping your home sell faster is to stage your home for selling. This has become quite popular for realtors and interior designers. Staging a home means re-decorating and de-cluttering your home to make it appealing to as many potential buyers as possible. Most new home buyers are looking for homes online before even setting foot into the actual house. Having great photos taken of your home is now a must when you sell your home. This is part of an entire marketing campaign created to sell your home. Staging the home for selling is the beginning part of the marketing plan, but it is the most important.
In order to make your home look as appealing as possible, many realtors are recommending staging the home to their clients. There are professional design companies that will work with homeowners and real estate companies to prepare the home for sale. The professionals can look at your home in an objective manner and come up with a plan of action to get the home ready to sell. If you have ever seen HGTV’s Designed to Sell , then you have seen home staging in action. Staging a home involves making the home attractive to many different types of buyers. This can involve doing some basic remodeling and fixing of broken items in the home. The wall, linens and drapery colors should be neutral so the potential buyers can envision themselves and their belongings in the home. All personal items such as family photos, collectibles and artwork need to be removed and replaced with neutral artwork or mirrors. Some furniture could be moved out and temporarily replaced with newer furniture for the staging. The designers could transform an office into a child’s bedroom or vice versa just for home staging purposes.
If you are staging or even just prepping your home for sale, what do you do with all of your extra belongings? This is where self storage has begun to play a vital role in the moving process. Staging companies and realtors are renting self storage units in order to place a client’s extra belongings during the sale of a home. Stop N Stor offers month-to-month rentals that are perfect for someone in the process of selling a home in the Savannah, Port Wentworth or Hinesville areas.
If you decide to stage your home without the help of a professional designer, here are a few tips to help you with the process:
1. Paint the wall of your home a neutral color in all rooms. You want to make the home as relaxing, cheery and comfortable as possible.
2. Remove all personal items in the room and de-clutter as much as possible.
3. Organize and de-clutter the kitchen. Leave the counter spaces clear except for 1 appliance. Organize the cabinets and clean out any older items.
4. Make repairs on broken tile, glass, flooring, and cracks in walls.
5. Empty and clean out the garage. The garage should only have 1-2 cars in it during the home showing.
6. Don’t forget to make the front of the house appealing. Trim bushes or trees, paint if needed and fix outdoor lighting.
7. Remove any pet items from the home. A potential buyer could be allergic to pets. Seeing pet items could be a deterrent in purchasing the home.
Selling a home and the whole process of moving can be a very stressful time. If you stage a home properly, you will have a jump-start to your packing for moving! Staging a home to sell can be very rewarding to the home seller. Staging a home could help increase the value of the home and helps sell the home at least 50% quicker!