Every year, people make resolutions to get healthy, lose weight, save more and get more organized. According to a survey on New Year’s resolutions recently posted by Statistic Brain, the number 2 resolution for last year was to get organized! There is no time like the present to start planning and acting on this resolution to better organize your life and declutter your home to make it more organized for the New Year! The New Year is in full swing and now is the perfect time to set-up your home to be clutter free after the chaos of the holiday season. The holiday decorations have been stored until next year’s holiday season.
Now is the perfect time to work on organization projects big and small. You can start with small projects such as organizing a closet and then move onto larger organization projects such as re-organizing your entire kitchen.
By following some of the simple organization tips below, you can easily start off 2016 on an organized path:
- Create a goal and vision for the space that you need to reorganize. This is great for small or large projects. Cut out photos of an organized room, closet or bookshelf and place them on the refrigerator or on a bulletin board to use as a guide to what you want to accomplish.
- Define your clutter. We are all very emotionally attached to our things; which in turn causes more clutter to gather in our homes. This is a good time to sort your items between what will stay in the room and what can be packed for storage.
- Donate the items that you don’t need any more to organizations that could use them. Donate books to a library or school. Donate clothing to local shelters and donations centers, such as the Salvation Army or Goodwill.
- Once, you have created a clutter free environment, it is important to keep it organized going forward by doing daily cleaning, such as putting away daily use items in their designated spots.
- Purchase organizational supplies such as shelving units, storage bins, door storage organizers, and baskets to give loose items “a home”.
- There are many great DIY ways to get your items organized from re-purposing ice trays to hold desk supplies to color coding a weekly family event calendar to keeping electrical cords coiled correctly.
- Sort your mail right away. Place magazines and catalogs that you won’t read directly into the recycle bin and place bills and other mail that have to be answered in a specially designated spot.
- Finish the organizational projects that you started! Do not leave projects half completed!
With proper planning and a goal in mind, you can declutter and reorganize your home and start a plan to keep it organized going into the New Year. Stop N Stor has a variety of storage options, including climate and non-climate controlled, available for every storage need from storing unused exercise equipment to storing family heirlooms.