Happy New Year! It is already the third full week of January! Have you already started your New Year’s resolutions? A better question would be, have you already given up on your New Year’s Resolutions? According to a study on New Year’s resolution making , only 46% of people who made New Year’s resolutions actually stick to them by June! Changing eating and health habits are usually the top resolution and these are a little more difficult to keep. However, if you decided to be more organized in the New Year, you can actually accomplish this goal. Getting organized and reducing the amount of clutter in your home can be a daunting task. It can also be a project that you keep putting off, until you no longer have room to store new items.
The biggest hurdle to an organization project is going through items and deciding what you need to keep and what you need to store, donate or throw away. We are emotionally attached to our belongings. For example, we might not have used a VCR in 10 years, but we still keep it around just in case! Once you are past the sorting step, the rest of the reorganization project is pretty easy.
Here are a few simple tips to help you start off your year right by reorganizing and decluttering your home and keep it clutter free.
1. Create a goal for your project such as reorganizing the basement, cleaning out the overflowing hallway closet or organizing the garage, so you can park your car. You don’t need to decide to do your entire home at one time. Make smaller achievable goals for the project.
2. Develop a time line with a start and end date to complete each of the tasks within your overall project goal. Once you have completed the task, cross it off the list and move on the next. Crossing off items on the list is always a reason to celebrate!
3. Split up larger projects into smaller obtainable tasks, such as tackling the junk drawer in an office desk or going through a box of family heirlooms or photos.
4. When starting a reorganization project, completely clear out the area that you want to organize. Then, sort the items from the room (or junk drawer or shelving unit) into the following boxes: Keep, store, sell, done or throw away. You can purchase boxes and packing supplies for your organization project at your local Stop N Stor facility in Port Wentworth, Savannah and 3 locations in Hinesville. Self storage is a great solution when you have items that you just can’t part with. Stop N Stor has a variety of storage unit sizes from 5×5 to 10×30 that can hold all of your excess items.
5. Remove all of the items that are not going back in the room or area that you are organizing as soon as possible. Take the items to be donated or stored to your car to be taken to donation centers and your storage unit.
6. Does paper mail get stacked up all over your home? An easy anti-clutter tip is to sort your mail right away. Recycle your catalogs or magazines that you know that you will not read. Better yet, cancel the subscriptions to the magazines and catalogs and then you won’t have to worry about receiving them. Have a special storage bin for letters and bills that have to be addressed right away.
7. To keep your home clutter free going forward, have a storage spot for all of your items. Make sure to put these items in their proper spot every evening. This includes clearing off the kitchen counters, living room coffee tables and cleaning up and putting away children’s toys. A self storage unit is also a great place to put those items that you no longer have a specific spot for in room.
Good luck with your organization resolutions projects! Stay tuned to the Stop N Stor Blog for future blog posts on decluttering and reorganization tips!
It’s that time of year again….New Year’s Resolution time! Everyone is trying to make themselves better for 2012! These resolutions can be very diverse from losing weight, quitting a bad habit, exercising more, spending more time with family and friends to getting organized. Becoming “de-cluttered” and becoming more organized is always within the top 5 resolutions at the beginning of each New Year. The holidays bring extra clutter to our homes with decorations and presents. Self-storage is a great option to help de-clutter your home after the holiday season and actually all year-long!
If your goal is to get more organized this year, then make sure that you have a plan of action in place to accomplish this goal. You don’t have to do it all at one time, but you can work on small projects. Work on one room at a time. This will make the task less daunting. You can even organize your garage, so your car will finally have a place to park. When you are working on each room or the garage, create piles for your belongings: what to keep, what to donate, what to throw away and what to put into storage. Utilizing self-storage gives you back the space that you have lost in your home. You can store important documents, family heirlooms, photos or seasonal items securely in a self-storage unit.
If you are already renting a storage unit, don’t forget to spend some time re-organizing the unit. Over time, you can forget what you stored in the unit, so it is good to look through the items every season. Throw away or donate items that you no longer want or need in your storage unit. You might be able to renegotiate with the storage facility to get a smaller unit or realize that you have more stuff than you thought and rent a larger unit.
For 2012, Stop n Stor has made their own resolutions! These are just a few of the resolutions:
1. To better serve our customer needs.
2. A hope that all the deployed military soldiers return home safely.
3. To support military families left behind as a result of a deployment of a family member.
4. To build better relationships with our customers.
5. To be the #1 storage facility in the Savannah, Port Wentworth and Hinesville, Georgia areas!
Stop n Stor hopes to be your storage destination in the Hinesville, Port Wentworth and Savannah areas. Stop in to see how Stop n Stor can help you organize for the New Year! Keep an eye on our blog posts for information on future storage auctions and community events that Stop n Stor is proud to be involved in 2012. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook!