The end of the college year can be stressful for students with taking final exams, setting up internships or summer job and packing up a dorm room or college apartment. At the end of each college year, students have to pack up their personal items, electronics, furniture and all other memorabilia that they acquired over the school year and transport it back home for storage for the summer. This can be very stressful for the student and the family! A better solution is to rent a self storage unit to store these items during the summer months.
10 Packing Tips for College Students
College students might need a gentle reminder about how to properly pack their items for home. There are also certain items that should be placed in storage versus what should be taken home with the student. Below are ten tips for college students when they are packing their dorm or apartment and moving home for the summer:
- There are certain items that college should place in climate controlled versus non-climate controlled storage. Climate controlled storage is comparable to storing in your home, where non-climate storage is like storing in your garage. Personal items such as clothing and toiletries are better off through the summer months in climate controlled storage, where they are not exposed to the elements. Also, laptops, computers, printers, electronics, TVs and other higher-end electronic equipment is better kept in climate controlled storage as well.
- Self storage is great for storing everything else not listed above including books, furniture, mattresses, comforters, linens, kitchenware including plates, pans and glassware, mini refrigerator and other kitchen appliances including a blender, toaster or microwave.
- Books should be packed horizontally in a sturdy smaller box. Storing books vertically can damage the spines of the books.
- Clothing should be packed in clear plastic boxes or new cardboard boxes. Do not use grocery store boxes as these can contain food and other residue that can ruin the clothes. Wash all clothing before packing them for storage.
- Hang winter coats, heavier quilts and blankets in wardrobe boxes.
- Do not pack linens, comforters or quilts in plastic bags if they are going to be stored in non-climate storage. Moisture can form inside the bad causing damage to the items.
- Pack glasses, plates and dishes in bubble wrap or plain newsprint in sturdy cardboard boxes. Do NOT use regular newspapers as it can leave a print residue on the items. Place heavier items at the bottom of the box and lighter objects at the top of the box. Place filler material between the pieces and layers of items for additional protection. Once the boxes are packed up to an inch of the top, add filler material and then completely seal the boxes with packing tape before storing.
- Clean out all appliances before placing in a storage unit. Leave the door to a mini-refrigerator open while in storage to allow for air flow.
- Label each box with the contents of the box on all four sides and the top of the box. If you are storing plastic boxes, tape of list of the contents to the outside of the box. Create an inventory list of the items that you have stored that lists the contents of each box that you are storing.
- Utilize all storage space by storing items vertically and in stacks whenever possible.
Self Storage for College Students
Stop N Stor in Savannah is nearby for Armstrong, SCAD, and Savannah State students. Stop N Stor offers month-to-month rentals, which is perfect for college student’s short term needs and budget. When choosing a self storage unit, start with the smallest size that will fit your books, linens, winter clothes and kitchen items. If you need to store furniture or larger items, then choose a larger size storage unit. Stop N Stor has storage unit sizes from 5×5 to 10×30 that any serve any student’s storage needs. The state-of-the-art security including gated access, digital camera systems, anti-pick locks and on-site managers, at Stop N Stor will also give students peace-of-mind that their belongings are safe and secure when they are in storage.
Stop N Stor offers a 10% discount to students with agreement to auto-draft terms. Stop in to our facilities in Hinesville, Port Wentworth or Savannah with your student ID to find out more information.